Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Making Time for More Time

My current position as a Channel Product Manager for Insidesales.com has given me the opportunity to work with various different people, in a wide range of industries. Having graduated from business school not too long ago (It's been more than two years now) I still have in my mind the words of my professors and textbooks regarding management philosophy, organizational management, and general management techniques. The real world is much different than the scholastic world.

In learning how people really manage their departments I have seen many different types of people employing different management styles. I am decided each person could have attended the same business classes as I have, yet still employ the same management style they do now. Not to say they are all bad. There are a lot of good managers out there in the world. What I am saying is that a managers style is highly regulated by his or her personality. If a person does not intentionally curb their inherint tendancies as a person when operating in the business world, those tendancies, good or bad, will come out and display themselves. 

This leads me to the point of this post. My position yields me the opportunity to consult with managers on strategy. Many times I am offering managers a bit of gold. I tell them to do this or that certian thing, and they are almost certian to significantly increase the company's revenue almost immedately. Although my suggestions are based on time tested experience, intense research studies, and industry wide best practices, there is still resistance and lack of implementation. Why is there a gap between what people know to be right and what they actually do?

Personally I try my hardest to live in accordance with what I know is right. This could now lead to a whole discussion on the world's increasing tendancy to voluntarialy surrender their parents morals for a lesser standard. Keeping with the business theme, I think it is because we, as people, tend to fall back on our personality and instincts when the "going get tough," as it most certianly does and will for all of us. To abandon what we know is right in this crucial moment is the seperation between good managers and great managers. Although the excitement is gone, the tasks difficult, and the pressure high, great managers operate as though the world is their's for the taking and make a killing every time. 

Insidesales.com gives managers the tools to allow sales and marketing managers to have more control and impact on their team's performance, if they choose to mandate and implement it. 

No comments: