Thursday, September 10, 2009

Are we really getting government health care?

I didn't watch Obama's speech last night. I have to admit, I kind of wish I would have. Turns out there was a little old school rebellion going on from inside the capital hill chamber. I think it's been a long time since a President has experienced something like Obama did last night. Rep. Wilson's lie yell sparked something of an interest with me. I don't necessarialy agree with someone interruupting the President in the middle of the speech to call him a liar, but this is a little more of what this country needs. This is what the President himself has been asking for. This is why we are a democratic society.

I don't know how many times I have been at home listening to the President speek and felt so strongly for, or against, one of his tennents that I vocalized it as if the TV would listen. How many people in America would have done something similar if they had the chance? I appreciate it because I think that one act represents what America is really about. In many countries throughout the world Rep. Wilson would have been put in prision and shot today for his contempt in the presence of the ruling authority. All he really had to do today was say he was sorry, which he did, and we are on our way. I appreciate that about our society.

So are we really getting government sponsored healthcare? I fear this. When the government regulated the airlines, or any other industry, we learned the hard way that too much government created problems that almost killed all the players in the industry. I agree some type of reform is needed, but let's not get to over zealous about it. The more hands off the better.

No comments: