Thursday, September 17, 2009

Trust Is Natural

Four months ago I had the most beautiful gift in the world delivered to me, my daughter Aspen. She is amazing. It's been such a learning experience watching her grow and develop as a human and individual. One recent observation I had was so simple, yet so profound. She trusts everyone.

She unconditionally and lovingly trusts me and everyone around her. She knows no different. She has never been lied to, deceived, misunderstood, manipulated, or exploited. She has no fear of getting hurt, being burned, falling from heights, or drowning. She has perfect trust.

I can't help but think how this applies to my own life. I don't trust everyone. Sometimes I don't trust myself. It's refreshing to know we are all born trusting and loving everyone equal. Lack of trust, hate, racism, prejudice and deception are all learned traits. They are not natural for us to act upon. They are not natural for us to consider. No wonder Christ prompted us to be more like children.

Matthew 18:2-6

"...came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the agreatest in the kingdom of heaven? And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

No comments: