Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering September 11, 2001


On the 8th anniversary of the attacks on the US, it's difficult to not remember those events and what I was doing that day. I was sitting at home in California, having just moved home from a two year religious mission in Ohio. It was my first morning home. I flipped on the TV for the first time in two years and found the same stunning news on every channel. I couldn't believe my eyes as I watched people's existence change before me on national TV. Only in retrospect can I, from my perspective thousands of miles away, really consider the significance of what took place that day. The real horror experienced by millions. The first hand recount of what people felt, saw, survived, and didn't survive. It's amazing to consider what so many people went through that day.

I also remember the effect that day had on what seemed the entire world. It didn't seem like such a big place anymore. People pulled together and offered whatever they could. The guy at the stop light next to me seemed to be a little more patient. We weren't afraid to mention deity in our routine conversations. God was closer than ever to all of us. It's sad that our society has to endure such a horrific experience to return us to a religious perspective.

Someday I am sure I will be relating my thoughts of this experience to my daughter as she grows older and learns about September 11, 2001 in history books. I'm thankful for her and the family I have. I'm fortunate enough to say I didn't lose anybody close to me that day. For all those that did, my heart goes out to you. Let us not forget.

No comments: